Sunday, August 25, 2013

PROTECT OUR CHILDREN


Leaving the Whāngarei High Court last Thursday I made a promise to God and myself not to talk about the broken being who had just been sentenced to preventive detention.  Without exception the boys he touched are heroes who deserve a far greater legacy than being his victims.  I pray that, unlike him, they will reach out and find the help they need.   Kaati tena!

Now I turn to something practical.  TU TIKA! is an informal, unfunded, independent collective of ordinary people from around the country doing what we can, where we are, with what we know to keep all of our children safe, and to help reconnect abused children and their whānau to their true greatness.  We have put together this resource to help others do the same.  


HE TAONGA

Tiaki our tamariki.  Treat them well and Treasure them.

Awhi our tamariki.  Allow them to live and learn with love.

Oriori our tamariki.  Offer them our songs.  Open our mouths .

Nehitia our tamariki.  Nurse and Nurture them to be their best.

Guide our children.  Give them Good examples to follow.

Akona our tamariki.  Answer their questions, Ask them our own.

 
 AROHAINA MAI KI AHAU –
some DO’S & DON’TS

Policies – make sure my kindy or kura has policies, and follows them

Rules – set and keep rules to protect me when I'm with you

Oversight – always know where I am, who I'm with, what I'm doing

Talk – tell others about the things you do to protect me

Educate – teach me how I can keep myself safe

Challenge – challenge anyone who puts me at risk

Tautoko – support others to protect their children too

 

Don’t force me to hongi or kiss adults or other people
Don’t assume I'm safe amongst friends or family
Don’t hesitate to report anyone who abuses me
Don’t bring drugs and alcohol into my life
Don’t bring multiple partners into my life
Don’t put your wants before my needs
Don’t blame me if I get abused

We don’t know all the answers to combat the horrors of abuse, but what we know we share.  " tō rourou, nā taku rourou ka ora ai te iwi – With your food basket and my food basket the people will thrive.”

 
TU TIKA!

 

 

No comments: