Tuesday, September 23, 2014

LIFE AFTER PARLIAMENTALISM

Hi!  My name is Anahera and I am a Parliamentaholic.  I took my first vote on Saturday the 29th November 1975, and my last on Friday 19th September 2014.  I’m just three days into recovery, and already, I love my new life!

I’m only half-joking whanau, engari if a Parliamentaholic were defined as a person who has a physical allergy to doing politics under the Parliamentary system, coupled with a mental obsession to keep trying anyway, well that was me.  And maybe that was most of us who believed we could get or keep an independent Maori voice into the New Zealand Parliament.

At the risk of labouring the point, all of us in the at-risk demographic must be very clear on one particular point; an independent Maori voice is not welcome in the New Zealand Parliament. 

If we hadn’t already got that message from the experiences of Matiu Rata throughout the 1980s and 90s, then we surely should have gotten it from the experiences of Hone Harawira between 2005 and 2014.  But just in case we haven’t, we need only consider the message from the media, many of whom were shamelessly ecstatic on Saturday night that independent-minded Maori might no longer have anyone in Parliament to represent our views. 

But for us Parliamentaholics, it’s not enough to hear the message; we have to reach our personal rock bottom before we actually get it.  Then, and only then, might we be ready to take the first step towards recovery by admitting that we are powerless over Parliament, and that our lives have become unmanageable as a result. 

I’m still only half-joking, whanau.  Engari there’s a simple test I’ve devised.  To check if you suffer from the addiction I shall call Parliamentalism, ask yourself these three simple questions:  “Did you wake up the morning after your last vote feeling sick and tired?”  “Do you often feel restless, irritable and discontented about your voting?”  “In spite of knowing it can’t be done, do you still plan on voting in the future to get or keep an independent Maori voice into Parliament?” 

If you have answered yes to two or more of those questions, then you are likely a Parliamentaholic who is living your life in a way that is going to become unmanageable in the medium to long-term, assuming it hasn’t already done so.

On a totally serious note, the 2014 election result has finally convinced me to direct my energies elsewhere and into other things.  It has also clearly demonstrated that most voters are fearful of Maori independence, and that most political parties will never share power with us.

In fact if we ever do start having any significant influence in Parliament, they will simply abolish the Māori seats and forbid Māori caucuses to exist.    

Although there is nothing constructive in Parliament for independent Maori, I honour all who have tried and failed, or succeeded, to get in and to stay in.  I just choose not to be amongst that number any more.

Kia koe e Hone, ko koe he rangatira tuturu.  If you do get back in, ka pai tena.  But whatever happens e hoa, I am here to tell you that there is a great life to be had after Parliamentalism.

No comments: