Tuesday, April 15, 2014

OUT OF THE DEPTHS

One of my earliest childhood memories is of sitting on the floor of our marae in Pawarenga with the angelic harmonies of the de profundis being woven in the air above me.    

As soon as the cantor began the two note opening call (Nō te hōhonutanga o ōku hara i karanga ai ahau ki a Koe e te – out of the depths I have cried to thee), my soul would soar in anticipation of the three note response (A-ri-kiO Lord.)


As a child it was the sound of the chant which enchanted me.  But now, as an adult who has experienced many things, it is the meaning within the sound by which I am uplifted.  (E te Ariki kia rongo koe ki tōku reo – Lord hear my voice.)    

As a child I loved this time of year because it meant a four day holiday from school (Kia whakarongo ōu taringa – let thine ears be attentive), but now I know that for many families it also means death and grief (ki te reo o tāku inoinga – to the voice of my supplication).

As a child I understood that there were bad things, like adults getting drunk or angry, over which I had little or no control (ki te mea e titiro koe ki ngā hara e te Arikiif thou O Lord shalt observe iniquities); now I know that I can choose whether or not to let those bad things into my life and the lives of my uri (e te Ariki ko wai e tū ki tōu aroaro? – Lord who shall endure it?)

As a child I learned that wrong actions could hurt and that the words “I’m sorry” could heal (Nā te mea he atawhai kei a koe – For with thee); now I understand why that is so (nā te mea hoki hei aroha kei āu ture, koia ahau i whakawhirinaki ai a koe e te Ariki – there is merciful forgiveness, and by reason of thy Law I have waited for Thee O Lord). 

Who is this Lord?

He is the immortal God who consented to become mortal.  The one who lived a perfect life before submitting to the agonies of Gethsemane and Golgotha.  The one who willingly died and descended below all things for three days before rising triumphant as the resurrected, glorified and living God.  The one who took the sting out of death and won victory over the grave for everyone, whether they believe in Him or not.  The one whose work and glory is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

He is hated and reviled by many and ignored by most, but through the Wairua Tapū I know he loves and watches over us all.  He will never be Prime Minister or President, but I know he does preside and he is prime.  He does not reside in the White House or Beehive, but I know he is right at home in sacred places, including that marae floor on which I sat all those many years ago. 


Kua ora tōku wairua ki tana kupu, kua whakawhirinaki tōku wairua ki te Ariki, from the morning watch even until night.   

No comments: