Sunday, February 18, 2007

THE WOVEN PEOPLE

Out at the noho whenua on Rangiputa last Saturday I heard a catch-cry I often hear that goes along the lines of, "We’re all the same." Whenever I hear stuff like that, I know straight away I'm listening to someone who's feeling different to me and really means, “I want you to be more like me"

To reword something written by C S Lewis: No man who says, we are all the same, believes it. He wouldn't say it if he did. The St. Bernard never says it to the toy dog, nor the scholar to the dunce, nor the employable to the bum, nor the pretty woman to the plain. The claim to sameness is made only by those who feel uncomfortable about others’ differences.

Take a look at the weaving in this picture. The korowai at the top is by the late Nicky Lawrence. The rain cape (pake) at the bottom is, I think, done by Jane Allan and Betsy Young of Ngataki. The silky, milky muka and the green putiputi are by Lydia Smith, while the whariki on which they lie were a joint effort by a number of us under Lydia's guidance. Although they are different in make, form and usage, these items are all woven on two universal principles – the horizontal weft and the vertical warp. Just like love' and 'marriage, you can't have one without the other. Well, you can try, but they’ll fall apart as sure as eggs.


Koutou ma – we don't have to be like each other. We don’t even have to like each other, although that would be nice. But we do have to live alongside each other. Why not do it as a woven people? Te whiringa o te muka tangata, ne? Hei konei. Hei kona.

No comments: